Gweedore Golf Club was founded in 1923, becoming affiliated with the GUI in 1927, playing on a 9 hole course, mainly on Commonage land and some privately owned fields. It seems the club did not function from 1939 until it was resurrected in 1960.
Small scale but significant developments occurred over the years, from having a small tin hut close to the graveyard in the 1930s, built at a cost of £27, to a new modern clubhouse in 1976, to replace the temporary prefab from 1970 and then the extension and refurbishment in 1989.
The purchase of strips of land began in 1970 – the site of the Clubhouse and the present first fairway – bought from Johnny Conaghan, Cotteen. Further land and share purchases followed regularly and after many years of effort and enthusiasm the club finally achieved its first objective in 2014, of having a 9 hole course on its own land.
Combined with its majority shareholding on the Commonage, the course now comprises of 14 distinct holes and the club is determined to achieve its ultimate aim of having an 18 hole course for its members whose efforts over many years should result in a much needed amenity for the parish of Gweedore.
Participation in Inter Club competitions began in 1968 with a match in Rathmullan and has continued since. Home and away matches across the length and breadth of Ulster followed through the years. The honours list include success in the Minor League in 1984 followed by victory in the Donegal League in 1998, 2005 and 2007, the Junior Scratch in 2011 and 2014 and Gaeltacht titles in 1994, ’99, 2000, ’05, ’06, ’07, and ’08.
The nurturing and coaching of the Youth has always been an important element in the development of the club, not least in recent years, where a talented, enthusiastic crop of youngsters have developed at an amazing rate bringing Youth success to the Club with victory in the Donegal Youth Matchplay in 2012. Their integration into senior golf has been smooth and successful. The next group of young lads are eagerly waiting in the wings for their introduction to the next level.
Gailfóige was founded in 1986 and as at present many talented youngsters competed with the best in the County and Province culminating in particular success at the Donegal Boys Championships in 1992 when 5 individual prizes came to the club including two lads being crowned County Champions- Frankie McGinley at under 14 and Ciaran McMonagle at under 16. Credit must go to Seán Ó Cléirigh whose initiative it was to involve the youth in the club, and to the lads who responded with great interest and enthusiasm.
The old course record of 65 is held by Pól ‘Monty’ Ó Maolagáin achieved on the 19/8/ 2007. The record for the new layout is held by Cathal Óg Ó Gallchóir.
Course development remains high on the priority list in the coming years and the spectacular scenery of the links will be difficult to surpass.
Seasaigh ar an 15ú Tí agus amharc amach uait ar Ghabhla, Inis Meáin agus Iompainn. Soir uait tá Inis Bó Finne agus Toraigh agus siar uait tá Rann na Feirste, Oileán na Cruite agus Arainn Mhór. Tá an ghrian ag soilsiú, an radharc go hiontach agus an gailf thar barr.